Thinking about how to delete Instagram account or deactivating your Instagram account? Learn about the differences between the two options, how long it takes for your account to be deleted, and whether your followers can still message you and also learn how to request a download of your data before deleting your account…
Delete Instagram Account
Instagram is a social media platform that allows users to share photos and videos with their followers. However, there are times when you may want to delete or deactivate your Instagram account.
Perhaps you want to take a break from social media or feel that you’re spending too much time on the app. Whatever the reason, this article will guide you through the process of deleting or deactivating your Instagram account.
Before we dive into the steps involved, it’s important to understand the difference between deleting and deactivating your Instagram account. Deleting your account will permanently remove it from the platform, including all your photos, videos, and followers.
Deactivating, on the other hand, is a temporary solution that disables your account until you decide to reactivate it again. Keep this in mind when deciding which option is best for you.
How to Delete Instagram Account Permanently
Deleting your Instagram account is a straightforward process, but it's important to note that once you do it, you won't be able to recover your account or its content. If you're sure you want to delete your account, follow these steps:
- Login to Instagram
Log in to your Instagram account on a computer or mobile browser. You can't delete your account through the Instagram app.
- Click on Help
Go to the Instagram Help Center by clicking “Help” in the settings.
- Select Delete your Account page
In Help Centre click on “Manage your Account” after that you will see “Delete your Account page”
- Choose the reason to delete
Select a reason why you're deleting your account from the drop-down menu. Instagram wants to know why you're leaving, but you can select “Something else” if you don't want to provide a reason.
- Provide password and tap on Permanently delete my account
Re-enter your password and click on Permanently delete my account. This will delete your account, and you won't be able to recover it.
When you delete your Instagram account permanently, it is immediately deactivated, but it may take up to 90 days (about 3 months) for all the content associated with your account to be completely removed from Instagram’s servers. This includes your photos, videos, comments, and other data.
During this 90-day period, your account will not be visible to other Instagram users. However, if you log back into your account during this time, your account will be reactivated, and the deletion process will be cancelled.
After 90 days (about 3 months), all your data will be permanently deleted, and you will not be able to recover it.
Reasons for Deleting or Deactivating an Instagram Account
There are several reasons why someone might want to delete or deactivate their Instagram account. Here are some common reasons:
Many people spend too much time on social media, and it can negatively impact their mental health and productivity. If you find that you’re spending too much time on Instagram and can’t seem to stop, deleting or deactivating your account might be a good solution.
- Privacy concerns:
Some people might be uncomfortable with the amount of personal information they’ve shared on Instagram and might want to delete their account to protect their privacy.
If you’re being bullied or harassed on Instagram, it can be a good idea to delete your account to avoid further abuse.
- Branding or image management:
For businesses or individuals who want to rebrand or change their public image, deleting or deactivating an old Instagram account might be necessary.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account Temporarily
If you’re not ready to say goodbye to Instagram forever, deactivating your account is a temporary solution. By logging back in, you may always reactivate your account. Here’s how to deactivate your account:
- Log in to your Instagram account on a computer or mobile browser.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner and select “Edit Profile.”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Temporarily disable my account.”
- Select a reason why you’re deactivating your account. Again, you can select “Something else” if you don’t want to provide a reason.
- Retype your password and select “Temporarily Disable Account” in step five. Your profile, photographs, comments, and likes will be hidden until you reactivate your account because of this
How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account
If you’ve deactivated your account and want to reactivate it, follow these simple steps:
- Log in to your Instagram account using the same username and password that you used before deactivating your account.
- Your account should be reactivated immediately. If it doesn’t reactivate automatically, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your profile, photos, comments, and likes will be restored, and your followers will be able to see your content again.
Can my followers be able to message when I temporarily disable my account
No, when you temporarily disable your Instagram account, your followers will not be able to send you messages or interact with your account in any way. Your profile, photos, comments, and likes will be hidden from other users, and your followers will not be able to see or access any of your content until you reactivate your account.
When you reactivate your account, your content and followers will be restored, and your followers will be able to interact with your account again. However, any messages or notifications that were sent to you during the time your account was deactivated will not be available to view.
It’s important to note that when you reactivate your account, it may take some time for your content to reappear on Instagram’s search results and feeds, and for your followers to see your posts again.
How to get your data before deleting your Instagram Account
If you want to keep a copy of your data before deleting your Instagram account, you can request a download of your data from Instagram. This process allows you to download a copy. It consists of all the photos, videos, and other content you’ve posted on the platform. As well as information about your followers, following, and account settings.
To request a download of your data from Instagram, follow these steps:
- At the top-right corner of the screen, click the three horizontal lines.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Choose “Download Data” under the “Privacy and Security” section after scrolling down.
- Enter the email address associated with your Instagram account and your Instagram password.
- Click “Request Download.”
- Instagram will then process your request and email you a download link when your data is ready.
It’s important to note that the time it takes for Instagram to process your data download request can vary depending on the size of your account and the amount of data you’ve posted. Once you receive the download link, you can download your data to your computer. Or other device and keep it as a backup before deleting your account.
- Will I lose all my followers if I delete or deactivate my Instagram account?
Yes, if you delete your Instagram account, you will lose all your followers, and they will no longer be able to see or interact with your content. If you temporarily deactivate your account, your followers will not be able to see or interact with your content until you reactivate your account.
- Can I retrieve my Instagram account after I delete it?
No, once you delete your Instagram account, it cannot be recovered, and all your content and followers will be permanently deleted.
- How soon can an Instagram account be deleted?
When you delete your Instagram account, it is immediately deactivated, but it may take up to 90 days (about 3 months) for all the content associated with your account to be completely removed from Instagram's servers.
- Can I still use my email address or phone number to create a new Instagram account after I delete my old account?
Yes, you can use the same email address or phone number to create a new Instagram account after deleting your old account.
- Will my photos and videos be deleted from Instagram's servers if I deactivate my account?
No, when you deactivate your Instagram account, your photos, videos, and other content will not be deleted from Instagram's servers, and you will be able to reactivate your account and access your content again later.
- Can I temporarily deactivate my Instagram account more than once?
Yes, you can temporarily deactivate your Instagram account as many times as you want, but you must wait at least 24 hours between each deactivation.
- Can I still access my Instagram account on other devices after I delete or deactivate it?
No, once you delete or deactivate your Instagram account, you will not be able to access it from any device until you reactivate your account.
- Will deleting or deactivating my Instagram account delete all of my personal information?
- Can I still view other users' content on Instagram after I delete or deactivate my account?
No, once you delete or deactivate your Instagram account, you will not be able to view other users content on Instagram. You have to create a new account or reactivate your old account to view content on the platform again.