Feeling excited to know the World’s First Camera and first photography taken by whom and when. Just check about First photographic camera, color camera, zooming camera followed by some facts about it…
First thing that triggers our mind by listening to the word camera is a device comprising of big lenses, battery, buttons and of course the flash light. This is the main thing to beautify our image.
What is a Camera
A camera is a device that captures and records visual images, typically through a lens system. But in the first camera there were no batteries, no magnifying lenses, no flashlight, it is unimaginable to visualize right……
According to the history of cameras world first camera was known as camera obscura, in Latin camera obscura means a dark room. Camera obscura, a device used in 16th century that projected an inverted image of the outside world onto a screen inside a dark chamber
World’s First Camera
The first photographs taken in the early 19th century (1826) by Joseph Nicéphore Niepce using a modified camera obscura.
- In 1826 Niepce developed a process called Heliography
- In Heliography the materials he used in the process were bitumen of Judea, a naturally occurring light sensitive material.
- He coated bitumen of Judea on a plate and he exposed that plate to light using camera obscura.
- The parts of the plate that exposed to light were harden and the parts remained in shadow were soft.
- After that he washed the plate with oil of lavender and white petroleum leaving behind the permanent photograph.
In Heliography, the output photograph is a black and white. Then color camera come into existence which makes the world to see the real beauty of nature.
First Color Camera
After black and white photos, a concept started for the photography with the tricolor scenario. They are Red, Green and Blue (RGB).
- The first color projection was the three-color projection method shown by Thomas Sutton in 1861 based on theory of color proposed by Maxwell.
- The camera used three separate black-and-white photographs taken through red, green, and blue filters. This were then recombined to create a full-color image
- This process is known as additive color synthesis.
- But the color camera invented by Thomas was not adopted guess why. Because it projects only few colors even though Maxwell showed a way to the future camera developers
First Full Fledged Color Camera
The first full – fledged color camera that was widely adopted was the Kodak Kodachrome camera. It was first introduced in 1935. The Kodachrome camera used a subtractive color process, where the colors of the final image created by subtracting certain colors of light from a white light source.
- The Kodachrome camera was a major breakthrough in color photography. As it allowed photographers to capture and reproduce natural-looking, vibrant color images.
- It widely used by professional photographers and amateurs alike, and was the standard for color photography for several decades.
- But a camera without zooming option is incomplete, below paragraph is about the zooming camera
First Zooming Camera
The first camera with a zoom lens was the Bell & Howell Zoomatic Director Series Model C, which introduced in 1951.
It had a variable focal length lens that allowed for adjustments to the field of view without changing the physical distance between the lens and the film. This type of zoom lens known as a “variable focus” lens.
Worlds First Camera Facts You Must Know
- The power of first commercial digital camera was 1.3MP, and the cost was around $13,000!!!!!
- The most powerful camera is Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) Camera. Its resolution is around 3200MP and it is equal to 260 iPhone 14pros combined together.
- Camera means not only photos right., the first camera with video recording developed by Thomas Edison’s employer William Kennedy Laurie Dickson in 1891.
- Some cameras now also equipped with artificial intelligence features like object recognition. This can automatically adjust settings for optimal results.
- The first portable camera was the Kodak Brownie, introduced in 1900.
- The first digital camera invented in 1975 by Steven Sasson, an engineer at Kodak.
- Who clicked the first color photo of Taj Mahal?
The first color photo of Taj Mahal was clicked by British photographer, James Robertson
- When and whom the first selfie will be taken by ?
World's first selfie taken by Cornelius in 1839. He stood alone in his yard and takes his own photography.